Responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people and providing humane handling and care for all shelter animals. Assures all animals’ nutrition, housing and basic medical needs are met on a daily basis. Assists the public when admitting and adopting animals and promotes responsible pet ownership in conversations with customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals to include cleaning of holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and grooming, and providing humane handling when animals need to be moved.
- Observes and evaluates animals for signs of illness and reports symptoms to appropriate personnel. Administers medications as required.
- Assists clients with checking in and out of boarding and day care as directed by supervisor.
- Maintains accurate records.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability in animal handling of dogs and cats and the occasional wildlife.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify animal species, breeds, ages and sexes.
- Ability to recognize escalating behavior of dogs in a day care environment.
- Ability to work a varied work schedule as the Centre operates 7 days a week from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Ability to work on short notice as per the number of dogs in the centre at one time.